Baby wipes are a commodity in any household with a little one. Not only do they have a nice scent, but their clean, wholesome, white appearance provides a level of comfort with parents.
Instead of using a rough, potentially dirty paper towel, many would prefer to use a clean, nice smelling baby wipe.
As it turns out though, baby wipes may not be the safest choice for your child, and may harming them behind the scenes.
In a 2014 study published by the American Academy of Pediatrics, researchers working under Mary Wu Chang of the University of Connecticut School of Medicine in Farmington found that a particular brand of baby wipes might be causing severe allergic reactions in children.
The brand in question is Kimberly-Clark, a popular baby wipe manufacturer. The compound that is causing the issues is called methylisothiazolinone, which is used as a preservative in the wipes.
Each one of the children who were exposed to the wipes had similar reactions, including swelling, puffy faces, blistering, and some even had disfiguring on their hands and feet.
The children underwent patch testing to ensure the reactions were being caused from the wipes, and when the wipes were removed from their space, the allergic reactions stopped.
Spokesperson Bob Brand came out with a statement about the finding, saying, “While our wipe products remain safe for use, we recognize that recent studies have raised concerns about the use of MI as a preservative ingredient. We have been evaluating alternative preservative options over the past few years, and are now ready to confirm that, beginning this month, Kimberly-Clark will start introducing new wet wipes that are MI-free across its entire product range in the U.S., Canada, Europe and other global markets.”
One important thing to remember is that there might be more allergens in the wipes besides MI, and further research is needed.
If your child breaks out in any type of reaction due to a commercial product, be sure to remove it from their space and see a doctor to ensure they are safe!
Share this article with your friends to warn them of the potential danger and continue to keep your children safe