Boy Severed Tip Of His Finger In School Toilet Door

Rhys Pringles who is only seven-years-old lost the top of his of his little finger, including the nail, after getting it caught in a toilet door. The young boys family say it could have been saved if there had been a first-aider nearby.

He was taken to Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow where he received surgery, but medics were unable to reattach the severed fingertip. The boy was unable to have his finger reattached. Alternatively they had to remove 2mm of bone and close up the injury with a skin graft.

Mother Arlene Stenhouse-don, 36, is certain her little boy’s finger could have been saved if staff had put it on ice. Arlene claims there was no first-aider at Harestanes present at his Primary School in Kirkintilloch to help her son when the incident occurred.

She said: “His dad went straight to the school and he was kept waiting for 10 minutes until he could see Rhys. “We had to ask the school about the severed digit. The teachers had to look for it and found it on the floor in the toilet.

“We went back to the school and my father, who is a retired policeman, asked if they had put it on ice but they had just wrapped it in tissue and put it in the fridge.

“We are left wondering if the severed part had got to the hospital on time they might have been able to save it. “There are no first aiders at the school. That’s the main concern with my other two children there and another one starting this year.

“The school say they never noticed Rhys’ finger was severed. I don’t how they can say this.”

The family say teachers found the piece of finger on the floor after the accidnet. The accident happened during the school’s lunch period on the 29 April.

Rhys ran to a member of staff in the playground after the accident,” Arlene added.“I was horrified when I found out a P7 pupil was asked to take him to the office.

An ambulance should have been called. There must have been blood everywhere. “Instead, they sat him down and put a tissue on it. The school then called us.”

Father Steve, 45, who rushed Rhys to Stobhil Hospital, before the boy was transferred to a children’s hospital. Steve explained: “I could hear him crying. I then went in and noticed he was chalk white, he was shocked.

“They had a stupid gauze wrapped around the side of his fingers. They didn’t even put a plaster on it or put his finger in ice. “I’m disgusted that my son has lost part of his finger.”

Arlene has had a meeting with the school since the incident and was told by the headteacher ‘no one in the school has first aid knowledge’.

Image result for first aid training for hand injury

Rhys Pringles’ family have said the finger could have been reattached if the school had a first-aider. Depute Chief Executive, Education, People & Business, Ann Davie, said: “We are very sorry that this injury occurred and for the distress caused to Rhys and his family.

“We are currently carrying out an investigation into the circumstances of the accident and the concerns raised by the family and will take the appropriate action once the investigation is complete.”

If you agree with his parents then please SHARE this post with your friends on Facebook.

Scroll Below To Read More Top Stories From Mynewsfeednow